Play Like a Champion
Coach Like a Champion
Designed specifically for youth coaches, the Coaching for Character (C4C) clinic emphasizes the character building elements of sports: teamwork, fairness, friendship, perseverance, courage, and leadership. Based on the latest research in the sport science as well as child & sports psychology, the Play Like a Champion Today Educational Series offers a one-of-a-kind, interactive clinic to educate coaches on how to foster the full development of their athletes through building cohesive teams.
Play Like a Champion staff prepare leaders in youth sports organizations through the country to train coaches in their local organization(s). The “Train the Trainer” model allows the expertise of the Play Like a Champion Today Educational Series staff to fit with the unique character, size, and identity of particular leagues. Coaching for Character clinics train coaches to:
- Make sports fun for all of the players.
- Create a welcoming and inclusive team environment.
- Develop the mind, body, and moral character of their players.
- Set mental, physical, and moral goals with young athletes.
- Build a team in which all children feel accepted and cared for .
- Give children a sense of ownership and control of their sports experience.
- Re-define winning as the achievement of team-set goals.
- Build lasting, strong relationships with parents.
All Play Like a Champion coach clinics utilize the GROW approach.
Goals + Relationships + Ownership = Winning
Using the GROW approach, coaches leave Coaching for Character clinics with the preparation required to build a team that succeeds on the field, and to guide young athletes to mature into people with strong moral fiber and healthy lifestyles. Results show that the Play Like a Champion approach to coaching leads to an improved sport experience for all:
- Children are happier in sports and stay active for more years in sports.
- Coaches gain an increased sense of pride in the work they are doing.
- Parents report greater satisfaction with their child’s youth sports experience.
- Officials feel respected and appreciated.
- League administrators enjoy the benefits of having professionally prepared coaches committed to the distinct mission of their league.
Parent Like a Champion
The Parent Like a Champion workshop helps parents to navigate through the high pressured and often confusing youth sport environment. Parents who attend this workshop learn how to help their children enjoy their athletic experience and to develop as athletes and as people. Parent Like a Champion also teaches parents what to expect from a quality sports program and how coaches should treat all of the children on their teams. Finally Parent Like a Champion raises the level of sideline behavior by giving parents clear directions for ensuring supportive fan behavior during their children’s games. Parent Like a Champion workshops are presented by “trained-trainers” in local organizations.